Saturday 7 March 2009

Careers Convention

During my Probation year at Hamilton Grammar, I was heavily involved in the organisation of the Careers Convention and this is something I was hoping to do at St Ninians. However, other commitments and a heavier timetable meant I was unable to get involved but I asked if I could attend and help in any way. As a result, I was given the task of manning the Secondary Teaching stall with a colleague. 

Prior to the event starting, I printed off a variety of information from the most popular teaching colleges - Strathclyde, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling. This enabled me to provide relevant and up-to-date information to pupils and parents alike on the entrance requirements for Secondary teaching. I was also able to provide first-hand experience of the probation system, the importance of gaining experience working with young people prior to interviews, how you apply for jobs and a general overview of the Secondary teaching profession.

Next year, one of my CPD aims is to get involved in the actual running of the event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment