Sunday 17 January 2010

PGC in Developing Leadership and Learning

I am currently finishing my tasks in preparation for the next seminar of the above course. Over the last couple of months, I have been looking at the following:
  • What is leadership and management? What are the differences and the similarities? Does leadership in education differ from leadership in other organisations? In which way?
  • What is meant by theoretical knowledge and what place does it have in practice? What are the key characteristics of theory?
  • The six models of leadership and management
  1. Formal
  2. Collegial
  3. Political
  4. Subjective
  5. Ambiguity
  6. Cultural
  • I was responsible for reading up on Political and Subjective models of leadership and management and to prepare a short briefing for my colleagues next week. I had to look at the features of the two methods, their advantages and their disadvantages.
  • How the McCrone Agreement facilitates a collegial approach within schools and what barriers it creates.
  • To finish, I have to write a 300 word assessment on the key issues in defining leadership in schools.
The course itself is hard work and with NABs, Prelims, ongoing homework and reports to write, it can be difficult at times to fit in the required reading and assessments. However, it is giving me a real insight into different methods of leadership and learning within an educational setting and providing me with greatly enhanced theoretical knowledge that I am able to put in practice on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment