Tuesday 16 June 2009

S@S Accelerate

During my teacher training, I spent a summer working as a Mentor at the S@S Summer Academy at the University of Strathclyde. The aim of the S@S Academy was to help pupils at the end of S3 re-engage with school to give them a positive year before they sat their exams. The role of the mentor was to offer a support to the young people and help them through a range of educational and challenging activities as well as assisting at a range of other activities such as basketball, dance and art. 

This year, I have been approached to identify S5 & S6 pupils who would be interested in a new project called S@S Accelerate. They have put together a range of 5-day challenges covering a variety of disciplines including Business, Enterprise and Law, Engineering and Science. I spoke to the Head Teacher to get authority to offer this to pupils and then worked with a couple of members of the Senior Management Team to ensure that pupils in S5 & 6 were informed of the course through assemblies. From this, I have a list of 15 pupils who I have provided information to, guided through the application process and organised letters confirming they are in full-time education. 

As well as being another interesting mini-project to coordinate, it has again given me an opportunity to liaise with the Senior Management team as well as getting to know Senior pupils who I have not met previously through my subject. It has also enabled me to maintain my links with the Summer Academy. I will be working at the S@S Accelerate project during the first week of the summer holidays.  

No comments:

Post a Comment